In short it is called an OS
, a computer program that manages other computer programs. The operating system
acts as an intermediary between the user and the computer. It explains our instructions to the computer. Other software programs
and hardware are operated by the operating system.
What is Operating System ?
Today the computer has become an integral part of our life. In many areas like education, research and development and entertainment, the use of computers and its potential has increased.
The vast potential of computer lies in its operating system. The operating system is the computer software, which operates, manages and controls the hardware and software associated with the computer. The operating system is a platform for the user, from which the user completes his work.
As if you have to write a letter, you use the word processor. Use spreadsheets to calculate. Use the database to store the information.
Major functions of the operating system
The operating system makes it easy to use the computer properly.
The operating system hides the hardware from heavy users from the user, so the user is not faced with a lot of information.
The operating system provides the user with a simple tool so that he can easily work on the computer.
Operating System acts as an intermediary between the user and the hardware so that the user can easily use the computer and its resources.
Managing the computer and its resources is an essential task of the operating system
Different Types of Operating System
The operating system has always been with the computer. As the computer developed, the operating system also developed itself. The operating system is divided into several categories. But, we will learn some of the major types of operating systems here.
1. Multi-User Operating System
This operating system offers more than one user the ability to work together. On this operating system hundreds of users can do their own work at a time.
2. Single-user Operating System
Conversely, Single-User Operating System allows only one user to work at a time. Many users can not work at this time on this operating system.
3. Multitasking Operating System
This operating system lets the user run many different programs at once. On this operating system, you can also write E-mail at a time and also chat with your friends.
4. Multi Processing Operating System
This operating system allows a program to run on more than one CPU
5. Multi Threading Operating System
This operating system lets a different part of the program run together.
6. Real Time Operating System
Real Time Operating System processes the input given by the user immediately. The Windows Operating System is the best example.
Operating System is a very essential program for computers
. Without this, the computer is an inanimate object, it is not wrong to say that. Using a computer without an operating system can prove to be a very difficult task. To understand the relationship between the operating system and the computer, you can understand the diagram given above.
Operating system features
- Tracks Primary Memory. Like, where is the use? How much memory is being used? And provides memory on demand.
- Take care of the processor, which means it manages.
- I agree to all the devices connected to the computer.
- Computers both allow hardware and software.
- Provides protection through passwords and other techniques.
- Keeps track of the tasks performed by the computer and keeps track of them.
- Keeps informed of errors and threats.
- Coordinate between User and Computer Programs
Major Operating System Names
There are several types of operating systems
available in the market such as Microsoft Windows
, Linux and Unix. But Microsoft is at the forefront of the market by providing new features and easy-to-use operating systems called Windows.
History of the Windows operating system-
- Windows 1.0: – This is the first version of Windows. It was presented in the year 1985.
- Windows 2.0: – presented in 1987.
- Windows 3.0: – presented in 1990.
- W indows 3.1: – presented in 1991.
- Windows 95: – presented in 1995.
- Windows 4.0: – presented in 1996.
- Windows 98: – presented in 1998.
- Windows 2000 / ME: – Presented in 2000.
- Windows XP: – presented in 2001.
- Windows Vista: – presented in 2006.
- Windows 7: – Presented in the year 2009.
- Windows 8: – Presented in Sann 2013.
- Windows 10: – presented in 2015.
In today’s world, Microsoft is the most popular operating system
provided by Microsoft
– Windows 7
System requirements for Windows 7 Operating System-
To install Windows 7 on a computer, the following hardware is required-
- 1 GHZ or faster processor
- 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit systems and 2 GB of RAM for 64bit system
- 16 GB hard disk space for 32-bit systems and 29 GB hard disk space for 64-bit systems
Here we have learned the operating system and how it works. We will post the related information from the operating system and the Windows operating system. You must have liked this post of mine. If you like my post, then share it with your friends and if you have any questions or suggestions please comment below.